How do I change the fuel filter?
If you decide to save and run smallrepair work related to the fuel filter, the first thing to know about is its location. There is a filter between the fuel tank and the pump. Self-replacement of the fuel filter is possible in the presence of experience, as well as depends on the car brand, because some models have a fuel filter behind complex systems, for this reason, it will be cheaper for professionals to entrust repair. Popular manufacturers of fuel filters are: ACDelco, Fram and Motorcraft.
Required tools for changing the fuel filter
Let's start with what you will need: nut and socket wrench, pliers and screwdriver. Depending on how the filter is installed, other tools may be useful on the fuel line - a ratchet and socket wrench, or an open-ended wrench, if the filter is threaded, the flashlight - if the filter is in a remote location. Also, special tools will be needed to remove the fuel filter depending on the brand of the car.
Preparation before replacing the fuel filter
How to change the fuel filter, also depends on your competent approach to the actual replacement process.
- The first and most important is the observance of technologysafety, since the allocation of flammable gases and fuel residues provides for work in a well-ventilated room or, even better, on the street, as well as immediate removal of fuel drops with a rag.
- Wear protective goggles and special disposable nitrile gloves.
- You can not smoke and work near an open fire. Just in case, prepare a fire extinguisher.
- Sometimes you may need a jack. In this case, put the car on a handbrake, under the wheels - the supports, after lifting the jack to avoid its sudden drop.
The product of dismantling the old fuel filter
- Understand where the fuel filter is in your car, as it has two mountings and the filter can be installed both at the fuel tank and under the hood.
- Have found, now strait pressure. To do this, pull out the fuel pump fuse and wait for the engine to die.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Before beginning the dismantling of the fuel line, wrap the filter with rags.
- When the fuel line is disconnected, remove the filter from the bracket and remove it.
Installing the fuel filter
Depend on the model, insert the filter in place andsecure by the same principle as the old filter was installed. Make sure that everything is whole, there are no leaks, if there is - remove.