How to feed a piglet?
The most important issues that arise in the breeder after the acquisition of pigs, relate to feeding. And one of the most important and first steps is to decide how to feed the piglet.
Feeding Vietnamese piglets
Little pigs are very sensitive to proper care and feeding. To get a good result, you need knowledge about what to feed the Vietnamese pigs.
- The first two weeks of life are the nutrition of small childrenpiglets become only mother's milk, which contains all the necessary components. On the 15th day of feeding the piglets with milk they begin to introduce complementary foods. Since the stomach of a piglet is very small, feeding often occurs, but little by little (8-9 times a day)
- Piglets need to be accustomed to additional feeding, when they are stillfeed on mother's milk. In small feeders, dry food is poured in and updated daily. Mineral additives and water are poured into separate containers so that they are inaccessible to the sow.
- Concentrated foods begin to add to 4-6day of life of piglets. At first it can be toasted grain cereals: barley, corn, peas, wheat. After 8-10 days of piglets' life, the addition of concentrates begins. Hay of legumes is also readily eaten by pigs.
- An important addition to the ration of pigs isCharcoal, red clay, crushed nettle, sod, processed in a solution of sulfuric iron, copper sulphate. When water and mineral supplements become habitual for piglets, in the same containers, various foods are placed in the substitute for additives: thick porridge-porridge, milk, jelly.
- On the 20th day, food needs are increasing and alreadyit is possible to introduce root crops in the diet, previously ground on a grater, and later it will be possible to cut them finely. Boiled chilled potatoes are cleaned and ground, while mixtures of concentrates are added. It will not be superfluous to add dry mixed fodder to the main food, the drug "Prelac"
- It is very good to eat mashed potatoes,diluting it with milk or the reverse. But such a mixture very quickly deteriorates, so it is better to give a little and for a short while, for 15 minutes. Later, the containers should be cleaned of the remains of the feed and washed, preferably scalded with boiling water.
- Considering how to properly feed piglets, it is worth noting that semi-liquid and dry food is simply necessary for the development in pigs of the habit of sucking the liquid component of food.
- Juicy fresh grass can cause gastricfrustration so you need to enter restrictions, since piglets can eat it without stopping. This is done immediately after weaning from the mother for a short period of time.
- That the piglets did not develop anemia,it is recommended to introduce in the diet preparations containing iron. But you need to be very careful with the dosage. It is best to administer iron dextran and iron dextrin preparations intramuscularly.
- It would be superfluous to be reminded that smallpigs are very prone to infections, especially gastrointestinal. It is necessary to approach with all gravity and thoroughness to cleanliness of a feeding trough and freshness of food. Food, which quickly turns sour (return, milk) is recommended to give small portions and not leave in containers for a long time.
- Drinking is not less important than feeding pigletssuckers. For greater survival in water, liquid nutrients are added: preparations of potassium, sodium, iron, and vitamins. Water in a trowel should always be clean, fresh and warm.
- In two months, piglets can be transferred toindependent feeding, which is not difficult. Piglets are accustomed to eat independently and this period passes easily. Food should contain whole milk, concentrates, root vegetables.
- The number of feedings is reduced to five times a day. We should not forget about the addition of various vitamin and mineral supplements.
Now you know what to feed the little pigs, and also the peculiarities in the preparation of the ration.