New regulations of the Champions League 2018-2019
Despite all attempts by the Association of European Football Leagues to keep the current rules and schemes for holding tournaments, UEFA approved the new regulations of the Champions League 2018-2019. The developed strategy, which will be implemented next season, should affect the format of the European competition, given that innovations will affect the number of clubs that will represent their countries. But UEFA insists that such conclusions are unfounded and the new regulations will not affect the system of the competition, but will only give the opportunity to take a different approach to the organization of qualifying tournaments.
In the next season after the entry into force of the new rules governing the modernization of the competition, clubs will face the following changes:
- if the winning team of the Europa League could have previously become one of the playoff players, now it will be sent to the group stage of the Champions League;
- the group stage of the competition will be allowed four teams that will manage to get the highest number of points in the evaluation;
- before innovations, the rating was formed taking into account the coefficients of associations, which created unequal conditions for competition. But now the evaluation of clubs will be carried out only taking into account their personal merits on the basis of the competitive process;
- when evaluating and calculating the total score, other successful performances will be taken into account. If the team was previously the leader of the Champions League or Europe, it will be awarded bonus points for good results in previous periods.
A country that will occupy the 8th place in the rating table will be able to send a team to a group or qualifying tournament. Accordingly, the higher the final ratio, the less the country will have problems with getting to the final and it will be able to use it to win. In the future, equal conditions will be created for the clubs to enter the group stage.
The following rules will remain unchanged in the new season:
- You can still use the "chance of luck."All teams will be able to use this right;
- In the group stage will remain the same number of participants. In this case, half of them will get into the playoffs;
- management will be carried out by a separate company, actually created by UEFA. It will solve all issues related to the organization of the competition process;
- four countries that will occupy the leading positions in the rating table will be able to send four national teams to participate in group tournaments;
- for the new teams representing the interests of national clubs in the two leagues, there will be a division into the League Path and the Path of Champions.
Advantages and disadvantages of the new format
After the new regulations of the Champions League 2018-2019 were approved, some experts said that such rules would “kill” the tournament. This may lead to the fact that the most prestigious club championship will be elite and inaccessible to many of its current participants. First of all, this will affect the minor European leagues, whose teams have not so many chances to go through four stages of selection. UEFA actually tripped the national federations with a low level of football development, which would later lead to a decline in the games of local championships.
But at the same time, the new regulation is a necessary measure that should solve such problems as a drop in revenues from holding tournaments and a decrease in the competitive component, which has been observed in the past few years. In addition, there is an acute decrease in spectator interest and a reduction in the cheering audience, since it is not interesting to follow the competitions, where some of the winners are already predetermined.
The format in which the competitions will take place should solve all these problems, since the most powerful teams of the continent will participate in it. According to experts, this will provide an opportunity to increase the density of results, fill the stadiums and increase the audience of tournaments, which will contribute to increasing their profitability.