The drug "Metronidazole" tablets. Instructions for use, contraindications
"Metronidazole" is a medical productwide range of applications. Its pharmacological properties are based on antibacterial and antiprotozoal effects. "Metronidazole" is active against Giardia intestinalis, Trichomonas vaginalis, Lamblia intestinalis, Entamoeba histolytica, as well as against anaerobic bacteria. There is resistance to the drug from the side of aerobic bacteria.
"Metronidazole" has good absorption, its bioavailability is 80%, it is evenly distributed in the tissues of the body, within 8 hours is excreted with feces and urine.
For treatment of infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to the drug, the doctor appoints "Metronidazole" (tablets), the instruction for use contains the following indications:
- gynecological infections,
- intestinal, hepatic amoebiasis,
- anaerobic-aerobic infections,
- gas gangrene,
- abscess of the lungs,
- skin infections.
If a patient has renal failure, the drug often accumulates in the blood, this is an indication to reduce dosage.
If the doctor has prescribed treatment with Metronidazole (tablets), the instructions for use contain some contraindications that must be considered. These include:
- a special sensitivity to the drug and its derivative,
- Diseases of the blood,
- lesions of the central nervous system,
- Pregnancy, 1st trimester,
- pregnancy, 2 and 3 rd trimester, it is possible to use only in case of life indications,
- in the period of feeding, the application is possible provided that the patient refuses to feed for the period of taking the medicine, because metronidazole is excreted, including breast milk,
It is important to consider some of the side effects of the drug "Metronidazole" (tablets), the instruction contains the following list:
- Allergic reactions. Appear in the form of rashes, hives and itching.
- Digestive system. It is manifested by vomiting, nausea, lack of appetite, metallic taste.
- CNS, peripheral NA. It manifests itself in the form of increased excitability, headache, irritability, weakness, depression, hallucinations, seizures, peripheral neuropathy.
- The system of hematopoiesis. Is manifested by leukopenia.
- Other reactions. It appears as a burning sensation during urination. As a local reaction, a particular irritability is evolved.
You should be careful during the use of the drug "Metronidazole", side effects should be studied in advance.
With hepatic insufficiency, there are specialindications for treatment with the drug "Metronidazole" (tablets), the instructions for use warns about other contraindications, as well as the grounds for drug discontinuation:
- staining the dark color of urine,
- patients under the age of 18 years are not recommended joint use of metronidazole with amoxicillin,
- for the period of treatment of gynecological infections in women, and in men of trichomoniasis urethritis, it is recommended to give up sexual intercourse, compulsory co-treatment of sexual partners,
- at the time of taking the drug you need absolutelyrefuse to drink any alcohol-containing beverages, otherwise the accumulation of acetaldehyde can provoke negative reactions in the form of vomiting, nausea, headache, abdominal cramps.
For internal administration of the drug "Metronidazole" (tablets), the instructions for use recommend the following dosage:
- every 6 hours 7.5 mg of medication per kilogram of body weight (3-4 doses per day) - for children over 12 years of age and adults,
- 3 times a day for 5 - 16.7 mg per kilogram of body weight (children under 12 years of age).
- For adults, 500 mg of the drug is administered intravaginally at night, and intramuscular administration is also possible.
In any case, the dose, duration and periodicity is established by the attending physician, the daily intake should not exceed 4 gr.