What is chinook salmon?
This fish family of salmon is prettywidespread, able to live in both fresh and salt water. In the Pacific Ocean, the chinook reaches a size of up to one and a half meters. Every serious fisherman dreams of catching it. In the ocean it grows to a meter. The largest fixed - over 60 kilograms.
Answering the question what is chinook, the Japanese will call it "prince of salmon", and the American - "royal salmon".
- In Asia, the chinook can live in rivers, for example, in the Amur. Populations of it are also seen in Canada and California.
- On the external appearance of the chinook: it resembles the rest of the salmonids (the back is covered with small black spots), has a silvery abdomen and the same sides. The head is rather large, the body is torpedo-shaped.
- In spawning this strong fish enters the rivers, moves along them, passing huge distances. Spawns throughout the summer.
- Preferences in nutrition - plankton, small crustaceans, fish, squid.
- The flavoring qualities of chinook salmon are highly quoted, andshe herself is in some countries commercial fish. Caviar roe - the largest of all varieties of red, brightly scarlet and has no bitter taste, for which it is highly valued by gourmets.
On other types of fish, see the article What are the fish.